Bacon makes for a great breakfast treat, however, cooking bacon for a large group in a frying pan can be a time-consuming task. In this article we provide alternative ways to cook bacon, which will help you overcome this problem. These days people have taken to cooking bacon in the oven in a big way, due to the fact that it is not a greasy affair like it is when it is in a frying pan. If you are fond of crispy bacon, then using the oven is the best method. One may also try using the microwave for this purpose. Bacon takes anywhere around 18 to 20 minutes to cook if the oven is used. Normally, bacon is cooked at 350 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
The best way to cook bacon in the oven is to line a baking sheet with foil, to make cleaning up easier.
- Spread the foil on the baking sheet and place the baking sheet on the center rack of the oven.
- Let the bacon bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, till it turns golden brown in color. The time may differ depending on the thickness of the slices.
- Once the bacon is ready, remove it from the oven and spread it on paper towels to absorb the fat.
With Parchment Paper
If you do not want the fat from the bacon, using parchment paper is the way to go. It is also an easy, very convenient, and splatter free method.
- For this method, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a large cookie sheet, spread some parchment paper.
- Now place a row of bacon strips in a row on the parchment paper.
- At 350 degrees Fahrenheit, let it roast for about 15 to 20 minutes, till it is crisp and well cooked.
- Remove it to a plate lined with a paper towel and dry out any remaining bits of fat and you can relish the cooked bacon.
In the Microwave
Cooking bacon in the microwave is one of the easiest ways to do it. Also, it is a lot less messier.
- Line a microwave safe dish with several layers of paper towel.
- Lay the bacon strips across on the paper towels. You can place as many as 6 strips on the paper towel.
- On the bacon, place a few layers of paper towels, so that the fat is absorbed.
- Run the microwave on high for about 3 minutes. However, the exact time required can change depending on the size of the slices.
- Check if the bacon is ready and remove it from the microwave into a plate and place it on paper towels, so that the remaining bit of fat is also absorbed.
- Allow the pieces to sit for about a minute to a minute and half. The bacon will become crispy and delicious and you can enjoy it with eggs or pancakes or with sandwiches.
Now that you know how to cook bacon in the oven, I am sure you will use these techniques more often. There are some tips I would like to give you before I end this article. During the last few minutes, it is important you keep an eye on the bacon, to ensure that it does not burn. Once it is ready, do not leave it in the oven or on the baking sheet, as the heat will continue to cook the bacon and it may get burnt. If you want to store the bacon, then it is recommended you par-cook it and finish the rest in the microwave, just before you want to eat it.