- Butter (or margarine), 500 grams
- Condensed Milk, 1 tin of 400 grams
- Sugar, 1 cup
- Flour, 5 cups
- Baking Powder, 5 tsp
- Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp
- Salt, 1 pinch
- Let the oven heat to 180 degrees C.
- The first step is to heat cream, sugar, and margarine.
- Gradually add milk, flour, and baking powder to the sugar mixture and combine well.
- Add vanilla extract and salt to the dough and mix well.
- When the dough is ready, make small balls and press down with a fork.
- Place the cookies on a greased tray and bake until golden brown for 8 to 10 minutes.
- After the cookies are done, let them rest for sometime before you eat them.
Chocolate Caramel Slices
This caramel slice has shortbread base with a layer of caramel and dark chocolate topping.
Ingredients for Shortbread Base
- Plain Flour, 1⅔ cups
- Butter, 165 grams
- White Sugar, ⅓ cup
- Condensed Milk, 1 tin
- Butter, 125 grams
- Golden Syrup, 2 tbsp
- Dark Chocolate, 375 grams
- In a mixer, mix together flour, butter, and sugar to get breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Press the dough into a greased tin pan.
- Bake the caramel slice at 190 degrees C for 15 to 20 minutes, or till golden brown in color.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- In a sauce pan put milk, butter, and golden syrup, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture on the cooled base and refrigerate the slice for 4 to 5 hours.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler as your stir it constantly.
- When the chocolate melts, spread it over the caramel and place the slice in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets well.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.
Condensed milk can also be made at home. However, you will have to maintain high levels of hygiene when you make it. When you open the tin, make sure you use it at the earliest, else it may go bad.