Coconut has been used for cooking in the Indian sub continent and Africa for a very long period. It has slowly made its way into the kitchens in the West as well. There are different forms in which it is used. Its water, a sweet and clear juice found in young coconuts, is said to be nature's miracle. There are many benefits of drinking it. Its milk is another form, which is derived using its flesh from the kernel.
There are many coconut milk recipes, that you can make using it. These days its cream is also available in the market. Its flesh is processed with sugar to make the cream. Most of the coconut milk ice cream recipes make use of the milk only. The cream although is a mixture of its flesh and sugar is not really suitable for homemade coconut ice cream.
How to Make Ice Cream with Coconut Milk
If you have turned vegan recently, then you may be looking for some vegan ice cream recipes. Although you can make it using soy milk, the one made by using coconut milk tastes better. At the same time, coconut milk ice cream is a great option for people who suffer from gluten allergies. If you are off sugar for whatever reasons, then you can make use of other sweeteners, like agave nectar, stevia, honey, etc., to make it. You will be surprised to know, coconut milk ice cream is one of the very famous Thai food recipes.
With the Ice Cream Maker
We will now see the recipe to make coconut milk blueberry ice cream. If blueberries are not available, then you can use any other fruit of your choice in the recipe. If you like mix fruit, then you can combine some fruits of your choice as well.
- Coconut milk, 3 cups
- Blueberries, 2 cups
- Honey, 3 tbsp.
- In a blender, blend blueberries till they are smooth.
- Add coconut milk and honey to the blueberry purée.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl, and let it chill for about 2 to 4 hours.
- Now, the mixture can be placed in an ice cream maker. Follow the instructions on it to get a smooth coconut milk ice cream.
Without the Ice Cream Maker
If you do not have one, it does not mean you will not be able to make soft ice cream. Here is the simple recipe to make soft coconut milk ice cream without it.
- Coconut milk, 3 cups
- Chocolate chips, 1 ½ cup
- Vegan marshmallows (chopped) 1 cup
- Almonds (chopped or sliced) 1 cup
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Arrowroot powder, 2 tsps.
- Chocolate extract, 1 tsp.
- Vanilla extract, 1 tsp.
- In a mixing bowl, mix a quarter cup organic coconut milk with arrowroot powder, and keep it aside.
- In a heating pan, mix remaining coconut milk, chocolate chips, and sugar.
- Heat the mixture till the chips melt. Ensure that you continue to stir continuously so that no lumps are formed.
- When the chips melt, bring the mixture to a low boil.
- After the mixture starts boiling, remove the mixture from heat, and add arrowroot mixture to it.
- Continue to stir. You will see that the mixture begins to thicken.
- Now, add vanilla essence and chocolate extracts to the mixture, and stir well.
- When the mixture cools down completely, place it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and blend to form a thick paste.
- Place it in the refrigerator again for a couple of hours.
- Again remove from the refrigerator to make a paste.
- Now, add the marshmallows and nuts, and place the ice cream in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before you place it in the freezer.
- Let it set well, before you can serve it.
These were two of our favorite coconut milk ice cream recipes. Isn't it easy to make them? You can make changes according to your choice to the recipes. Before we bid adieu to you, just a small tip. Do not cover the mixture, when you are freezing it. Once the mixture is frozen, you can cover the ice cream tray.