Clementine is a type of mandarin orange known for its small size and wonderful taste. Clementines are often called "Christmas" oranges, since they are harvested during the holiday season. These are basically hybrids of tangerine and mandarin and were named after a French Priest, Pere Clement.
These fruits are very easy to peel as compared to other oranges and are perfect foods for snacks and desserts. There are several recipes that can be prepared from clementine and given below are two such recipes.
Recipe #1: Clementine Salad
- Spinach - 1 pound
- Clementines - 4
- Medium-sized green apples (peeled, cored and sliced) - 2
- Radishes (trimmed and thinly sliced) - 8
- Medium-sized red onion - 1
- Heavy cream - 1/3 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
- White wine vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Dijon mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Hard-boiled eggs (peeled and coarsely chopped) - 3
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
This is an easy recipe. First take a large mixing bowl and add chopped spinach, sliced apples, sliced radishes, sliced onions and clementines. Combine them together and cover the bowl with a towel. Refrigerate the mixture for about one hour. Then, take the container of a blender and add heavy cream, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Blend the mixture to attain a smooth texture. Take out the bowl from the refrigerator and pour this mixture over it. Then toss the salad and garnish the salad with chopped egg.
Recipe #2: Clementine Cupcakes
- White cake mix - 1 package (18¼ ounces)
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Egg whites - 4
- Clementine juice - 1/2 cup
- Canola oil - 1/4 cup
- Grated clementine peel - 1 teaspoon
- Clementines (peeled, sectioned and membrane removed) - 4
- Butter (softened) - 1/3 cup
- Confectioners' sugar - 3 cups
- Grated clementine peel - 1/2 teaspoon
- Clementine juice - 5 to 6 teaspoons
- Semisweet chocolate chips - 3/4 cup
- Clementine sections with membrane - 24
Take a large bowl and combine white cake mix, water, clementine juice, egg whites, grated clementine peel and canola oil. Then beat the mixture with the help of an electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds and 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour this mixture into greased muffin cups and press a clementine piece in the center of each cup.
Press down the piece into the batter and sprinkle chopped clementine over the batter. Place these muffin cups in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degree Fahrenheit. Let them cool for 10 minutes and then remove them from the pans.
To prepare the frosting, take a small bowl and put butter in it. Beat the butter to attain light and fluffy texture. Then add confectioners' sugar, juice and clementine peel to it and again beat to attain the required consistency. Use this mixture to frost the cupcakes. In another microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and stir them until the mixture becomes smooth. Dip the clementine pieces in this chocolate mixture and then refrigerate them until they set completely. Place these coated sections on cupcakes and serve.
These were some delicious recipes for you. Prepare these recipes for lunch or dinner and enjoy the sinful taste of clementines. Happy Cooking!