- 5 pounds, cucumber (cored; peeled)
- 2 cups, pickling lime (mixed in 2 gallons of water)
- 1 small jar, powdered alum (mixed in 2 gallons of water)
- 2 ounces, powdered ginger (mixed in 2 gallons of water)
- Vinegar and water (3 parts each; mixed)
- 5 pounds, sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick (4 inches)
- 5 whole cloves
- Green/red food coloring
- Cut the cucumbers into rings or strips.
- Soak them in the pickling lime water for 24 hours.
- Then, take them out and soak them in the alum water for 24 hours, and in the ginger water for another 6 hours.
- Drain the excess liquid.
- Take a large saucepan and add the cucumber, sugar, vinegar-water solution, cinnamon, and cloves to it.
- Add 3-4 drops of coloring to the saucepan. (Choose either of the colors)
- Boil this mixture for half an hour and pour the contents into a jar. Shut the lid tightly and store the pickle.
- 1 gallon, whole dill pickles
- A head of garlic (peeled)
- 1 cup, granulated sugar
- 5-ounce bottle of Tabasco sauce (regular)
- 1-ounce bottle of red/green food coloring
- Drain the pickles and rinse the gallon jar.
- Slice them into rings.
- Put them in the jar; add garlic and sugar to it.
- Empty the Tabasco sauce into the jar. Add the food color to it.
- Screw the lid tightly and shake the jar.
- Store it in an icebox and shake it daily to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar.
- The pickle will be ready in a week.
- 1 quart, vinegar
- 2 tablespoons, mustard seed
- 1 cup, sugar
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- Take all the ingredients except the cauliflower and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Wash the cauliflower and break them into florets; parboil them.
- Drain the water and put the florets into jars. Fill the jars with the strained hot syrup. Screw the cap tightly.
- 1 can, pineapple (diced)
- 1 pint, pickled pepper (whole green and red)
- 1 pound, figs (quartered)
- 2 cups, vinegar
- 1 pound, whole pickles
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 cup, seedless raisins
- 2 cups, granulated sugar
- 20 whole cloves
- Take a large saucepan; add the pickled pepper, figs, vinegar, whole pickles, cinnamon, cloves, raisins and sugar to it.
- Pour water till the level of the contents and boil for 10 minutes.
- Take a big jar; put the diced pineapple into it along with the boiled mixture and screw the lid.
- Store this for several days in the refrigerator before serving.