A cake without icing is like heaven without angels.. Ok, that is putting it a bit too far, but dessert fans everywhere, will agree that the icing on the cake is literally the icing. While there are many different flavors and types of icing, perhaps the best and the most popular one is chocolate icing. Chocolate, food of the gods, nectar of manna, it makes everything and anything taste so good. A dash of it in your coffee, hot or cold, gives it the mocha taste. You dip your biscuits and pancakes in it for a "oh so sinful" taste. So, the magical combination of chocolate and icing, should turn even a burnt cake into a masterpiece (don't try it). And it's so versatile, you can put it on cakes, brownies, muffins, éclairs, cupcakes, the list is endless. You can put it on bread and make chocolate icing sandwiches! But for decorating and icing, instead of running to the store and picking up a can of icing, how about making chocolate icing from scratch? In this article, checkout some simple chocolate icing recipes to whip up this delicious topping.
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ¼ cup water
- Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan, over low heat.
- Keep stirring, until both butter and chocolate melt and mix well.
- Add vanilla, then sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat well.
- While beating, add water, to attain a thick, spreadable consistency.
Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, mix butter, sugar and milk. Bring to a boil.
- Cook mixture for 5 minutes, then add chocolate, marshmallows and vanilla.
- Beat mixture till it thickens and is spreadable.
Easy Chocolate Icing Recipe
- 2 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Use an electric mixer or by hand, to beat the egg and 1 cup of sugar.
- Add ½ cup sugar and cocoa into egg mixture. Mix well.
- Add remaining 1 cup of sugar, butter and vanilla. Beat well to combine.
How to Make Chocolate Icing with Dark Chocolate
- 2 bars (1.5 ounces each) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream, lightly whipped
- Melt chocolate in microwave for 45 seconds, stir melted chocolate, until smooth.
- Add egg yolk and butter, whisk well. Stir for 1 minute, keep aside.
- Mix rum, sugar and cream together. Add to chocolate mixture in 3 separate additions. Stir slowly after each addition.
- Spread icing on cake, then refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Chocolate Butter Icing Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened chocolate) powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 4 oz butter or margarine, softened
- 8 oz icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Mix cocoa powder with the boiling water to form a paste. Leave to cool.
- Beat butter, icing sugar and milk. Mix well.
- Add cocoa mixture and mix, till well blended.
Chocolate Ganache Icing
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons cognac or brandy or rum (optional)
- Heat cream and butter in a saucepan, over medium heat. Bring to boil.
- In a heatproof bowl, place chopped chocolate and pour boiling cream over it. Leave it to stand for few minutes. Do not stir.
- Stir gently after some time, until the mixture is smooth and thick. If desired, add liqueur.
Tip: Refrigerate leftover ganache for several hours or overnight. Roll into small balls and then roll in cocoa powder, sugar or nuts. Use a spoon or melon baller to make chocolate ganache truffles.
White Chocolate Mocha Frosting
- 2 ounces white chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- Melt butter and chocolate together. Beat till smooth and then add vanilla. Add 1 cup confectioner's sugar and mix well.
- Mix the coffee granules with milk, let it stand, the coffee should dissolve in the milk.
- Add half of the milk mixture to the butter chocolate mixture, then 1 cup of sugar, then the remaining milk mixture, and finally the last cup of sugar. Mix well.
Chocolate Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Mix the cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, cocoa and cinnamon in a bowl. Beat well, until a thick, spreadable mixture is formed.
- Add extra milk, if thickness is needed. To darken frosting, add more cocoa.
Chocolate icing is a versatile and delicious addition to any dessert. From the recipes listed above, it is easy to see the simplicity of both ingredients and steps. So substitute a homemade icing for that store-brought icing can, and see the difference. Thick and fudgy, or thin and sweet, there are oodles of chocolate icing recipes from scratch, to suit your sweet tooth.