Nothing beats a hearty dish made of delicious chicken and dumplings when it comes to comfort food. As the chicken broth slowly simmers and bubbles, your home is filled with the delectable aroma of wholesome home cooking. The following recipes are very easy to follow. You can add a variety of vegetables to them to make them more nutritious.
Simple Chicken Dumplings
- 1, 2½-3 lb chicken (cut into pieces)
- 1 can (10¾ oz.) cream of chicken soup
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- Some parsley
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Poultry seasoning
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- Place the chicken, poultry seasoning, parsley, celery, pepper and salt into a pot, and pour the water into it.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil; lower the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 2 hours until the chicken turns tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, and let it cool down enough to be handled.
- Separate the chicken meat from the bones, and return it to the broth.
- Add the cream of chicken soup to the pot, and let the mixture simmer over low heat again.
- In a dish, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Add the butter to it, working it in with your fingertips, and gradually add in the milk.
- Roll the dough into balls, and flatten them into half-inch thickness.
- Drop the balls into the broth, and simmer for 10 more minutes, making sure to submerge the dumplings into the broth while they are cooking.
Baked Chicken Dumplings
- 3 cups chicken breast (cooked and chopped)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 15 oz. mixed vegetables (drained)
- ½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- Pepper, according to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Mix the chicken breast, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, vegetables, and poultry seasoning together in a bowl, and sprinkle the mixture with the pepper. Transfer it to a sprayed baking dish.
- In another bowl, mix the biscuit mix, milk, and sour cream together and spread this mixture over the chicken.
- Bake for about an hour or until the top turns golden brown in color.
Lemony Chicken Dumplings
- 4 lb chicken
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 oz. sherry
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as required
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tsp. shortening
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Place the chicken along with some salt in a pot, pour water into it to cover the chicken, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and let it simmer until the chicken turns tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, cool, and debone.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot to the broth and let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the broth, cook for a while, and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Strain this mixture, reserving the stock.
- Heat a frypan, melt the butter, and stir in one cup of flour until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the strained stock to the pan, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Lastly add the lemon juice, sherry, pepper and salt to the pan.
- Mix 1½ cups of the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the shortening until the mixture turns crumbly.
- Add the milk in gradually until blended.
- Pour about half an inch of water in a saucepan that is equipped with a wire rack, and cover it with a waxed paper that has been lightly oiled on the side facing up.
- Allow the water to come to a boil, and reduce the heat until it simmers gently.
- Spoon the dumplings onto this paper, leaving space between them, and let them steam uncovered for about 8-10 minutes
- Then cover and steam for about 5 minutes more.
- In the meantime, debone the chicken, cut it into pieces, and place it in a casserole.
- Place the dumplings on the chicken, and pour the sauce over them.