Want your taste buds to bless you for treating them to a delightful cherry dump cake? Want a sweet platter that has the knack to tickle your sweet tooth? Alright, enough of temptation talk! Let us move on and change the scenario a bit. Before this article arms you with the cherry dump cake recipe, you might like to read and rev up your knowledge on dump cakes.
What Is a Dump Cake?
According to your olfactory senses, the name might not sound the most appetizing item on the sweet list. However, what's in a name? It is indeed a dessert that people love to devour. This confection, unfortunately suffers from an identity crises, as majority prefer to call it a version of the cobbler cake. Surprisingly, it is popular not only for its delicious morsels, it is also coveted with the 'quick-cake-to-make' tag. Now, that feature just does not make you wait for its arrival in your mouth!
Dump cake is made by combining canned fruits. Pineapple and cherries are some of the most predominant fruits added to the recipe. The fruits are drained and placed at the bottom of the baking dish. The next step is to add a white- or yellow-colored cake mix on top of the fruit layers. The cake is then baked and a scoop of butter is poured on top of it. When baked, the butter forms a crust that melts in the mouth coupled with a layer of canned sweet fruits.
Dump cake is the easiest to make, simply because it has no ingredients that you need to measure and add. Instead of using canned fruits you could also resort to using freshly cut fruits. You are free to use your imagination and make wild concoctions that spells 'yummy' in every bite. You could experiment with a variety of canned pie filling or allow the canned fruits to macerate for a while in its own juices and see the sweetness get sweeter!
As far as experimenting with flavors is concerned, chocolates go far in ranking high on the chart of cake makers and cake eaters! Chocolate recipes are here to stay and get you hooked to the delicious dump cakes. Instead of pouring white or yellow cake mix, you could switch to using the chocolate cake mix. You could make a black forest cake by simply pouring the chocolate cake mix over the cherries placed at the bottom of the baking dish. You get a dump cake with a chocolaty twist, cherries soaked in chocolate - a thorough lip-smacker indeed!
How to Make a Cherry Dump Cake
This is the section that will equip you with the recipe that spills magic in your mouth. Here are the ingredients to get you on board.
- 1 large can of crushed pineapple
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- 1 can of yellow or white cake mix
- 2 sticks butter
- A can of flaked coconut
- For a pineapple dump cake coupled with cherries, place crushed pineapple into the pan.
- Don't discard the juice, pour it along with the crushed pineapple.
- Spread it evenly, continuing with the same activity of spreading with the cherry pie filling over the pineapple.
- Now is the time to pour the cake mix, (Yellow or white, your choice!) over the cherries.
- You will notice that it has a granular texture. Well, if you want a crusty and creamy morsel then don't mash it and make it even and smooth. Let it be the way it is.
- To give it a coarse flavoring, you could sprinkle some dry coconut powder. Ensure that the coconut is not finely powdered. Sprinkling coconut powder that has tiny pieces of coconut intact, will add a different twang to the cake all together.
- Garnish it with some cashews to make the confection look and feel rich.
- Melt butter in a pan and pour it all over the cake.
- Place it in the oven at 320 degrees and see the cake turn crusty from the outside and soft and melt-y inside.
- You could serve it whipped cream. Voila! A cherry dump cake with coconut is ready for you.
Still here! I thought with this recipe at hand, you must have rushed to prepare your kitchen counter with all you need to make the cherry dump cake. Go now, and enjoy the flavors!