If you are one of those harassed mothers of a five-year-old who just refuses to touch anything which resembles "green" on his food plate, then this is a must read for you. There is old adage "smother vegetables with cheese and any kid will eat them".
If you've heard of this, then you know that serving broccoli with cheese sauce is a good way or rather a kid-friendly way of feeding your kids vegetables. If you're tired of threatening them at the dinner table, then try these recipes of cheese sauce for your broccoli cuisine, to give your kids a calcium boost and make a wonderful tasty and healthy dinner.
How to Make Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
- 16 oz. fresh broccoli
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- For making this simple recipe, cut broccoli into florets and peel and cut stems into ¼-inch slices.
- Place them in a steamer over boiling water and cover.
- Now in saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat and add the flour
- Stir and whisk the flour continuously for a minute.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the milk.
- Place it again over to heat and add salt and pepper.
- Once the mixture boils and has thickened, turn off the heat and add the shredded cheese.
- Pour over the steamed broccoli and serve immediately.
- ½ cup butter
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cans condensed cream of celery soup
- 5 to 6 ounces garlic cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 packets of frozen broccoli spears
- French bread slices, bell pepper strips, and cherry tomatoes
- In a large skillet, allow the butter to melt over a medium flame.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, and onions and cook till it is translucent.
- Now add the flour and cook for two minutes.
- Transfer the mix to a slow cooker. Stir in the canned soup, broccoli, and cheese.
Ingredients for the Soy Cheese Sauce:
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. ketchup or tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. lemon
- ½ tbsp. soy sauce
- 1½ cup water
- For making the sauce, mix the turmeric, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cornstarch, and flour together.
- Now in a blender, whisk the ketchup, lemon, soy sauce, cheese, and water, and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Cook this mixture over heat for 30 seconds and then allow it to cool.
- In a casserole dish, keep the vegetables and pour the sauce over it.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs atop and cook in a preheated oven at 350ºF for about 40 minutes.
The cheese sauce can also be used for veggies such as cauliflower as well. However, broccoli being an excellent source of vitamin C can be eaten raw with cheese dip or can be steamed. Do not to overcook the broccoli or else it will turn all mushy.