If you want to have good old homemade brownies, sans the use of a brownie mix, then you have definitely landed on the right page. Many people would agree with the fact that boxed brownie mixes just don't stand up to the taste of homemade brownies made from scratch. In fact, for health reasons, doing it yourself is the best bet, for you can tailor it accordingly.
If you are a novice baker, even then you do not have to worry, because the task at hand is easy, and you will be able to easily sail through the process of making brownies. Cocoa powder, butter, vanilla, salt, bittersweet chocolate, and flour are the usual ingredients that you will need for brownie recipes. If you want to have chewy brownies, then adding some peanut butter will help you achieve that effect.
Easy Brownie Recipe
- Large eggs, 4
- Melted butter, 8 ounces
- Cocoa, sifted, 1¼ cups
- Sugar, sifted, 1 cup
- Brown sugar, sifted, 1 cup
- Flour, sifted, ½ cup
- Vanilla extract, 2 tsp.
- Kosher salt, ½ tsp.
- Soft butter, for greasing the pan
- Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Grease an 8'' square pan with butter and then dust it with flour. Whisk the eggs until fluffy and light yellow. Stir in both the sugars and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Blend till you have a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45 minutes. Slip a toothpick/knife into it, and check if it comes out dry.
- If it does, take the pan out of the oven and allow it to cool. Once it is cool, cut it into squares and serve or store.
Brownies with Chocolate Chips
Ingredients (Makes 16)
- Large eggs, 3
- Semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped, 8 ounces
- Sugar, 1¼ cups
- All-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, 1 cup
- Semisweet chocolate chips, 1 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ cup
- Unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into pieces, plus more for pan, 8 tablespoons
- Baking powder, ½ teaspoon
- Salt, ½ teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Take a 9'' square baking pan, and line the sides and bottom with parchment paper, while allowing 2'' of the paper to stick out above the sides.
- Coat the paper with butter. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Put the chocolate and butter into a large heat-proof bowl, and balance it over a saucepan of simmering water.
- In about 2 - 3 minutes, the chocolate and butter would have melted and mixed. Add the sugar to it and then the whisked eggs. Add the fluid contents to the flour mixture and mix.
- Throw in the chocolate chips, and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, and slip a toothpick/knife into it and check if it comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Take the pan out of the oven and cool for 30 minutes. Remove the brownies by lifting the paper hanging out of the pan. Cool on a rack and using a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares.
Peanut Butter Brownies
Ingredients (Makes 16)
- Eggs, 2
- Brown sugar, 1 cup
- Flour, ⅔ cup
- Peanut butter, ½ cup
- Chopped salted peanuts, ½ cup
- Butter, softened, 4 tablespoons
- Baking powder, 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8'' square pan with butter and then dust it with flour. Add the butter to the peanut butter and mix in a bowl. Whisk till both have blended well.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla to them and continue to stir. Finally, add the whisked eggs and stir till you have a smooth batter. In a separate container, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and sieve twice.
- Add the first mixture to the powders. Blend until you have a smooth batter. Toss in the peanuts at the end. Pour the batter in the pan, and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- After it is baked, slip a toothpick/knife into it, and check if it comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. If it does, take it out and let it cool. Once completely cool, cut it into squares.
I'm sure these brownies recipes will give utterly delicious results. If you want it to be sinfully good, add some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to turn it into a wicked dessert!