When you prepare a brown sugar cake, and compare it with a cake made with white sugar, you will notice that the former has a richer flavor and a more moist texture than the latter. This is why brown sugar cakes have been gaining popularity. Let us look at the recipe to prepare this delicious cake as well as its frosting.
Brown Sugar Cake with Caramel Frosting
For the Cake
- 3 cups, all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup, milk
- ½ teaspoon, baking powder
- 1 teaspoon, vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups, dark brown sugar
- ½ cup, sugar
- ¼ teaspoon, salt
- 1½ cups, butter (softened)
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 325 °F. Take a 9x5'' baking pan, and grease it with butter. Sprinkle a little flour on the pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder. Pour the vanilla extract into the milk and let it rest.
- In another large bowl,whisk the butter till it becomes fluffy.
- Now, add one-third of the brown sugar and beat the mixture. Add another one-third of the brown sugar and beat the butter again. Finish off with the last portion of brown sugar.
- Add the white sugar to it, and beat the entire mixture thoroughly.
- Add the eggs to it while beating continuously.
- Reduce the speed of the whisk and add the flour to it; continue whisking till the batter is smooth
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and let bake it in the preheated oven for about an hour. You will know the cake is done when it becomes brown at the edges, and when a fork inserted in it comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool for about 30 minutes. Then, flip over the pan so that the cake comes out easily. Flip it over and let it rest on a wire rack.
For the Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup, brown sugar
- 4 cups, confectioners' sugar (sifted)
- ½ cup, evaporated milk
- ½ cup, butter
- 1 teaspoon, vanilla essence
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, mix the butter and the brown sugar, until both melt. This should result in the formation of a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the milk and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool. Now, add the vanilla and milk to it and beat it with an electric whisk. This will cause the mixture to become thick.
- Immediately pour it over the cake and let it set (it should set immediately).
Alternative Brown Sugar Cake Frosting with Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons, light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons, unsalted butter.
- 1 package (8 ounce), cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tablespoon, honey
- 1 teaspoon, almond extract
- 1 teaspoon, vanilla extract
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter. Remove it from heat and allow it to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, butter, almond and vanilla extract in a large bowl with an electric whisk.
- You will notice that the mixture is starting to stiffen. Stop beating at this point and pour the honey.
- Resume beating the mixture till it becomes fluffy. Don't overdo it or the frosting will spoil.
- Pour it immediately on the cake and allow it to cool in the refrigerator.