Bread and butter pickles, also called sweet and sour pickles, are used as toppings for hamburgers and sandwiches. They are often used as dressings for pasta salads. These are easy to prepare at home. They can be stored in the refrigerator, but make sure that you consume them within a few weeks.
How to Make Bread and Butter Pickle at Home
First, decide whether you want to keep the pickle outside or in the refrigerator. If you are keeping it outside for a longer period of time, then sterilize the container in which you will keep it, before the canning process. The easiest way to sterilize the container is by washing it in a dishwasher, or placing it in the oven while maintaining a temperature of 200 °F for around ten minutes. Let the jar cool down at room temperature. Ensure that its lid is properly sealed in order to keep it outside the refrigerator. After canning, you have to heat the jar in a water bath.
Given below is a recipe that you can try. This variety is much sweeter than the dill variety, and is savored by many.
- Small, thinly-sliced cucumbers - 15-20
- Onions, thinly-sliced - 6
- Chopped garlic - 3
- Pickling salt - ¼ cup
- Granulated sugar - 3 cups
- Cider vinegar - 2-3 cups
- Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoons
- Celery seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric - 1 teaspoon
- Sliced red peppers - 2
- In a large saucepan or a bowl, mix the cucumbers, onions, garlic, pickling salt, and red peppers together. Toss the mixture slowly with a spoon and keep it aside for three hours.
- In another large saucepan, mix the granulated sugar, cider vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric. Heat the mixture till it starts to boil.
- Drain the water from the cucumber mixture and add the hot cider vinegar mixture to it. Place it over a flame and heat it till it boils.
- Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature and then transfer it to the sterilized containers.
- Jalapeno Slices - 1 gallon
- Onion - 1
- Vinegar - 2 cups
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Celery and Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon each
- Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
- Slice the onion and extract the liquid from the jalapeno peppers. Keep this liquid aside.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large pan and heat this mixture until it boils.
- Allow it to cool and then refrigerate it for around 10 days. Invert the jar every two days.
These pickles taste delicious and are easy to make. It's important to maintain proper hygienic conditions while preparing them as they can get easily contaminated with microbes. Always prepare them using fresh fruits and vegetables. You can use carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, lemon, raw mangoes, chilies, garlic, and many more.