Bitter melon/bitter gourd has been used in Asian cooking for centuries, especially in Indian cuisine. The various spices in which the vegetable is blended so skillfully, render it absolutely lip-smacking! Did you know that it is very effective in treating a number of skin diseases ranging from sores to psoriasis?
- Pork (ground) - ½ pound
- Water - 4 cups
- Green onion (sliced) - 1
- Bitter melon - 1
- Soy sauce - 2 tbsp.
- Fish sauce (seasoning) - 1 tsp.
- Soy sauce (seasoning) - 1 tsp.
- Garlic powder - ⅛ tsp.
- Black pepper (ground) - ⅛ tsp.
- Take a bowl, and mix garlic powder, pepper, and 2 tbsp. soy sauce.
- After mixing, cover it with a plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Now, cut the bitter melon into 1-1½ inch thick round slices.
- Next, using a small knife, remove the seeds and also the spongy part.
- Stuff each bitter melon ring with the pork mixture. Make small balls out of the leftover mixture.
- Follow this by boiling water in a saucepan and putting the stuffed melon rings into it, along with the remaining balls. Let it simmer for about 30-45 minutes over medium heat.
- When done, season it with 1 tsp. fish sauce and soy sauce, along with green onions.
- Minced pork, or Prawns - 450 grams
- Shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated and finely chopped) - 3
- Bitter melon - 1
- Shaoxing rice wine - 1 tbsp.
- Light soy sauce - 4 tsp.
- Cornflour - 1 tsp.
- White pepper - 1 pinch
- Chicken stock - 250 ml
- Garlic cloves (minced) - 3
- Spring onions (sliced diagonally) - 2
- Ginger (finely chopped) - 1 inch
- Fermented black beans (chopped and mashed) - 2½ tbsp.
- Sugar - 2 tbsp.
- Cornflour (slaked) - 2 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil - 3 tsp.
- Add prawns or pork, Shaoxing wine, Shiitake mushrooms, cornflour, white pepper, and soy sauce to a bowl and mix well.
- Slice the melon into 1 inch slices, and remove the seeded spongy part.
- Blanch the melon slices in water. When done, stuff the slices with pork/prawn mixture. Stuff as much as possible, as the stuffing will shrink.
- Steam the stuffed melons for about 15-20 minutes in two batches.
- Now keep that aside, and heat up a wok. When properly heated, add 3 tsp. vegetable oil and swirl the wok a bit. Follow this by adding garlic and ginger; mix until it turns light brown in color.
- Next, add the stock, black beans, and sugar. Mix well followed by the addition of melon rings, and simmer for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, add slaked cornflour and simmer further, until thickened.
- Season with spring onions, and serve with rice.
- Eggplants (cut into 4 pieces) - 6
- Tomatoes (regular-sized and sliced) - 5 to 6
- Bitter melons (regular-sized, cut into 4 pieces) - 4
- Onion (sliced) - 1
- Pork (cut into small pieces) - 1 cup
- Garlic (crushed) - 2 pieces
- Shrimp fry - 3 tbsp.
- Take a frying pan, and sautè tomatoes, garlic, onion, shrimp fry, and pork. Do not cook it completely.
- When it is half done, add bitter melons and eggplants with 1 cup water. Season to taste, and simmer until cooked.
These days, most of us are satiating our taste buds with the wrong food all the time. Trying the mentioned recipes is the perfect way to please both our health and the taste buds. So, wait no further, and embark on a healthy journey by including the bitter gourd more often than before.