Traditionally, Balsamic was made in the Modena region of Italy. It is known as Balsamico Tradizionale and is made from wine grapes, which are pressed to extract the juices. The juices undergo a lengthy process, at the end of which vinegar is added to it. Then the Balsamico is aged. However, balsamic vinegar is made with less aging in Modena. A classic recipe has 3:1 ratio of oil to vinegar composition. It is easy to make and is also a healthy dressing, as it contains only 90 calories per two tbsp. of serving. The nutrition facts of this dressing will vary according to the ingredients used in the recipe.
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Recipes
Some herbs and spices, which can be added to lend the following recipe a more traditional taste are basil, garlic, shallots, and oregano.
- Balsamic Vinegar, 3 tbsp.
- Red Wine Vinegar, 1 tbsp.
- Dijon Mustard, 2 tsp.
- Garlic (finely minced), 2 cloves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, as per taste
- In a blender, whisk balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard together, till they are well blended.
- Add garlic to the vinegar mixture and whisk well again.
- Gradually pour olive oil into the vinegar mixture slowly. Constantly whisk the mixture, so that it attains the desired consistency.
- At last, add salt and pepper to the vinegar and your dressing is ready for use.
Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Balsamic Vinegar, ¼ cup
- Dark Brown Sugar, 2 tsp.
- Chopped Garlic, 1 tbsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, ½ tsp.
- Olive Oil, ¾ cup
- In a bowl, beat vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Keep on blending till sugar and salt dissolve.
- Then add 5 tsp. of oil at a time and continue to whisk.
- Once the oil is mixed well, add black pepper.
- Adjust the seasoning as per taste.
- Add a few drops of honey if you want it to taste sweeter.
Vinaigrette Dressing using Shallots
- Shallot, ½ cup
- Balsamic Vinegar, 75 ml
- Olive Oil 150 ml
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper as per taste
- Lemon Juice as per taste
- Cut the shallots several times to create finely diced cubes.
- Place them in a mixing bowl and add balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix it well.
- Gradually add olive oil into the mixture and continue to whisk.
- Whisk the contents till the mixture attains a creamy texture.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- At last, add lemon juice to enhance the flavor.
- Refrigerate the dressing and enjoy it with salads.
Although, this dressing is commonly used for tossing salad greens, it can also be used to marinade fish or chicken. Fish needs to be marinated in the dressing for 15 to 30 minutes, whereas chicken needs to be marinated anywhere between one to eight hours, depending on the dish being cooked. It can also be used as a dip for crusty breads.