Sweet potato is a root vegetable which is high in nutritional quotient. It is rich in vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin D, iron, and magnesium. There are different ways of cooking sweet potatoes. They can be made into pies, casseroles, burritos, soups, and even fries. However, baking them is the healthiest option.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
- Once pierced, place them on a baking sheet, lined with a foil. It is necessary to line the sheet with a foil, so that the drippings from the potato get collected in it.
- For the potatoes to be baked till tender, it will take approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, and make a slit on top of each of them.
- Top each one with butter, salt, and pepper.
- Scrub and clean the sweet potato, preferably under running water.
- After cleaning, prick it a number of times with a fork. This will enable the steam to escape out of the potato.
- Place the potato on a microwave plate, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on full power.
- When the potato is soft, remove it from the microwave, and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Season with salt and pepper, and mash the inside of the sweet potato using a fork.
- Top the open ends with butter and cheese, and return it back to the microwave; cook it till you see the cheese melting.
- Top it with the remaining cheese and sour cream before serving.
- Sweet Potatoes (large), 3
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Dried oregano, 2 teaspoons
- Freshly ground pepper, 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
The right temperature for baking sweet potatoes will vary depending on the size of the potatoes, and also on the fact that whether they are cut or uncut. At the same time, the temperature will also vary depending on whether you peel them or bake them with the jackets on.