Spaghetti squash is kind of a melon, of winter squash to be more precise. It is an oblong seed-bearing fruit that comes in different colors. The color range can be from ivory to yellow or orange in color. It can also be green color and have white streaks. There are many seeds in the center.
The flesh of this fruit is bright yellow, orange or white in color. In raw form, the flesh is tough; however, after cooking it, the flesh falls apart easily in forms of ribbons or strands like spaghetti. It has a very mild flavor and is often served with some sauce or it can also be served only with salt and a little butter.
Microwaved Spaghetti Squash
This recipe can be made with chicken as well as vegetables.
- Zucchini, shredded ½ cup
- Carrots, shredded ½ cup
- Mushrooms, ½ cup
- Scallions, chopped ½ cup
- Red bell pepper, chopped ½ cup
- Broccoli, ½ cup
- Instant vegetable broth mixed with ½ cup water and seasoning 1 packet
- Garlic clove, mashed 1 small
- Spaghetti squash, baked and seeded, 1
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine all the ingredients other than the squash.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, but do keep a hole to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave the veggies till tender and keep aside.
- Add 1 cup of squash to the pulp to the veggies and toss to combine properly.
- Place the baking dish back into the microwave and keep it on high for about a minute, or till well heated.
Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- Medium spaghetti squash, 2¾ lbs
- Flour, 3 tbsp
- Salt, ½ tsp
- Garlic clove, minced 1
- Low fat ricotta cheese, 15 oz
- Parmesan cheese grated, ⅓ cup
- Spinach leaves, 1 carton
- Red pasta sauce, 1 cup
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, 6 oz
- Cook the squash in the microwave oven for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and let it cool down.
- Split the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds and stingy portion of the squash.
- You may want to use a fork to comb squash flesh to pull it off in long strands.
- Place the squash in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, garlic, and salt to the squash and mix all the ingredients.
- Blend ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and spinach with a blender. You need to make a smooth mixture.
- At the bottom of the baking dish, spread red pasta sauce, top it with spaghetti squash mixture, ensuring you arrange it evenly.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the layer of squash.
- Then spread the remaining of the sauce over the ricotta mixture.
- Top it with mozzarella cheese and place the baking dish on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack and bake it uncovered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cut the baked squash lasagna into square pieces and serve hot.