There are different kinds of apples available in the market throughout the year. Almost all the varieties of apples could be used to make apple pies and other delicacies. You would be amazed to know that apples have a plethora of nutritional and other interesting facts. Apple crumble is also known as an apple crisp. This dish is one of the most popular desserts in the U.S., and UK. It is basically a British recipe that became popular during the World War I. The types of apples that are popularly used for making it include Jonagold, Ginger Gold, Golden Delicious, and Jonathan.
Simple Apple Crumble
- Ripe apples (peeled and finely sliced), 6
- Sugar, 6 tbsp.
- Butter, 2 tsp.
- Cinnamon, 1 tsp.
- Sugar (white or brown), ½ cup
- Multipurpose flour, ½ cup
- Oats, ½ cup
- Butter, 4 tsp.
- Arrange the sliced apples on a buttered baking tray. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle this mixture over the apples.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the butter and sugar well.
- To this, add the flour and oats. Mix well to form a coarse batter.
- Spread it over the apples and cover the tray with an aluminum foil. Bake at 200ºC for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a fork, prick the apples to see if they are tender.
- If they are not, remove the cover and bake until the apples are tender and the crust is golden.
- Serve this apple crisp or crumble with whipped cream. This can be served either hot or cold.
Apple Crumble with Coconut
- Apples (preferably golden-delicious variety), 2
- Butter, 200 gm
- Multipurpose flour, ¾ cup
- Sugar (preferably brown), ¼ cup
- Coconut, ¼ cup
- Orange juice, 2 tbsp.
- Castor sugar, 2 tbsp.
- Ground cinnamon, 2 tsp.
- Begin by preheating the oven to 200ºC. Grease a shallow baking tray with butter or margarine.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the flour and cinnamon. To this, add butter and rub it into the flour with your fingers.
- As you mix the butter, you can add the sugar and coconut little by little to make the crumble.
- Arrange the sliced apples in the greased dish and pour the orange juice over it.
- Now, sprinkle the castor sugar and cinnamon powder and toss well. Next, pour the crumble over the apples.
- Using a spoon spread the crumble evenly. Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and bake for around 30 to 40 minutes or until the crumble turns golden.
- You can serve this lip-smacking dessert with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Apple Crumble with Applesauce
Ingredients for Applesauce
- Apples (preferably ginger-gold variety), 5
- Water, ½ cup
- Sugar (preferably brown), 5 tbsp.
- Cinnamon, ½ tsp.
- Peel, core, and wash the apples. Cut the apples into medium-size chunks.
- In a thick-bottomed saucepan, put the chopped apples, water, and sugar, and bring it to a boil for over 20 minutes on a low flame.
- Add cinnamon and stir well. You may also add other spices of your choice, such as nutmeg, etc.
- When the sauce becomes thick, check the sweetness. You may add more sugar if required.
Ingredients for crumble
- Multipurpose flour, 8 oz.
- Butter/margarine, 4 oz.
- Sugar (white or brown), 2 oz.
- Pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour and salt. Put the sieved flour in a bowl and add butter.
- Mix the butter with flour using your fingers. Slowly add the sugar. The mixture would look like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven at 200ºC. Grease a baking tray and pour the applesauce in it.
- Spread the crumble evenly on top of the sauce. Using the back of a fork, press the crumble down lightly.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of castor sugar over the crumble. Bake it for half an hour or till the crumble turns golden.
To prevent the apples from turning brown after pealing, sprinkle some lemon juice over them and drop the pieces in cold water. If you are planning to store the peeled and cored apples, drain the water quickly. Pat the apples dry with kitchen or paper towels. Transfer it to a freezer bag or container before freezing.